Naval ROTC at UMD College Park
The University of Maryland is pleased to offer prestigious scholarship opportunities within the new Maryland Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps Program (NROTC) Consortium for outstanding students. The NROTC Scholarship Program plays an important role in preparing students for leadership and management positions after graduation, and is open to students in all majors interested in pursuing a career with the Navy or Marine Corps.
NROTC offices are located in the Reckord Armory. The battalion consists of Navy and Marine Corps midshipmen, under the advisement of a staff of highly trained and motivated Sailors and Marines.
Prior to Fall 2016, UMD "crosstown school" students attended NROTC courses and labs at The George Washington University, but on November 30, 2015, U.S. Navy and Baltimore community leaders participated in a signing ceremony that formalized the creation of the Maryland NROTC Consortium, consisting of University of Maryland, College Park (UMD), and University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) students.
The primary objectives of the NROTC program are to provide NROTC students with:
- An understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of Naval Science.
- A basic understanding of the associated professional knowledge.
- An appreciation of the requirements for national security.
- A strong sense of personal integrity, honor and individual responsibility.
- An educational background which will allow the midshipman to undertake successfully, in later periods of his or her career, advanced or continuing education in a field of application and interest to the Naval Service.
Project Global Officers (GO) is a Department of Defense initiative for ROTC students that:
- Promotes critical language education
- Study abroad
- Intercultural dialogue opportunities through language study for ROTC students.
The U.S. military needs future military officers who possess the necessary critical language and cross-cultural communication skills required for effective leadership in the 21st century operational environment. Find out if you are eligible.